Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

New to drones

Michaelk

Reaction score
Hi all,
Totally new to drone racing....where do I start. I have flown some cheap drones etc before but want to get a bit more serious. There are so many different types around and don't know where to start. Don't want to buy cheap stuff to start with but don't want to spend too much either....still got bills to pay and a family to feed. Any info would be a great help.
Thanks
Michael

I would get something like the Eachine Lizard or EMAX babyhawk-r to start with. It will be much easier to find space to practice, more crash resistant, etc. All the ground gear is the same like radio, goggles, etc.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Wizard is a good one too, but I would get that as my second fpv drone maybe. But of course, my first one was a 5" Martian.

But my next builds were a 3", another 3", a tinywhoop, another 3", one more 3", a 4" and a hybrid 4"/5".

If I was building a first drone for a friend, it would probably be an 1104 based 3".

Last edited:
Yeah It gets great reviews all parts are plug and play, no soldering. Which I am yet to master so it seemed like a good choice. The batteries ( hv) are hard to get here in Aus so still trying to work on getting more.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
ill attest to learning with a 3" being a good avenue. your gonna crash and those 3" are tough.. roll around in the dirt, bounce off trees tough. blow it off, straighten/ replace a blade and off you fly. less weight, less momentum less damage. charge and fly.. every trick is learned on this first before trying it on the 5". thus the constant "weed eater" patina ( ;1522858922656692261516.jpg

Last edited:
Gday Guys, thanks for the info. That package looks pretty good. I have quite a few big open spaces to learn in where I live. What are your thoughts on the package you suggested(is the eachine good stuff) or looking for something second hand that is really good quality, even if it might cost a bit more.

Looking to keep it to about $500 to start a basic setup. As time goes by I will upgrade and get more drones. My 8 year old son will use anything that I upgrade from as he gets older. Live in Brisbane. Thanks for helping out.

I think Green is on to something with these micros, I have 3 Whoops, 1 66mm BWhoop, 2 76mm Bwhoops, a BH-R 2", a Diatone GT-M3 3", and too danged many 5" quads. The Eachine stuff is ok and I still fly much of it after you get a good set of ESC's onto it. That is a great starter if you have room to fly and as winter sets in get a whoop.

upload_2018-4-5_21-6-43.png

upload_2018-4-5_21-8-4.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
captadam