Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Beginner's kit?

Frisbee

Reaction score
I recently bought this recommended $300 introductory quadcopter setup:

* Eachine Wizard X220
* FlySky 1a6 Radio Receiver combo
* Eachine Goggles Two
* Batteries x 3 and Battery Charger

From the videos the X220 seemed to be really durable, and I was hoping to get more flight time before running into problems. But I've recently found out that "Flying is crashing, and repairs are a huge part of drone racing and the FPV hobby". With that in mind, the recommended setup should really have included things like a soldering kit and spare parts. If you were to modify the recommended beginner's kit, what parts and quantity would you recommend?

* Soldering kit (soldering iron, solder, and desoldering wick or bulb)
* Replacement motors x 2-4?
* Replacement ESC x 2-4?
* What else is likely to break, and how many would you recommend?

its great to have extra parts on hand but not necessary as you can order parts and have them in a couple days most times, (i havent ordered wizzard parts) only thing i think ya need to add is a lipo checker so you can monitor batteries. with good batteries you have good flights, with bad batteries....not so much

The only spares I really stock are RP-SMA connectors, antennas and props. So far I have been lucky and haven't broken a motor or fried an ESC. I have broken some VTXs and an FC but just ordered a new one after they broke.

One nice thing about the wizard is that it is all standard parts, no proprietary BS anywhere.

Heck, I've got frames, ESC's, motors, FC's, VTX's, antenna's, camera's, batteries, every connector you could imagine, props, prop nuts, battery and camera straps, lenses, screws, nuts, bolts, mounting tape, Velcro, pretty much everything.

Jerry

Reactions: Keifie
Handy tools:

Cheap 40w soldering iron
Small dia. rosin core solder
Helping hands
Heat shrink and heat gun
1.5mm, 2.0mm and 2.5mm hex drivers
5.5mm nut driver
Needlenose pliers
tweezers
#2, #1, #0 Phillips screwdrivers
#1 flathead screwdriver
Razor blade

I am sure I am forgetting something...

Reactions: Keifie and Frisbee
its great to have extra parts on hand but not necessary as you can order parts and have them in a couple days most times, (i havent ordered wizzard parts) only thing i think ya need to add is a lipo checker so you can monitor batteries. with good batteries you have good flights, with bad batteries....not so much
Do you recommend a Lipo Battery Voltage Tester, or a low voltage alarm? My charger has a digital display that I was using to check the charge on my batteries around 8 minutes of flight time, and then stopping before it went below the recommended point. Do you mean something more convenient like an alarm that goes off so I don't have to time my flights to stop and check the voltage?

Oh yeah, I ordered my setup from BangGood, which took about a month to deliver. I'm not sure where I can get faster delivery, and I haven't found any RC shops near where I live. So that's why I was thinking I better make a list and order ahead of time. I think it will be at least a month before I can fly again.

Yes, the small, cheap lipo checker with alarm so you can use it as an alarm and to monitor your batteries in the field

Reactions: Frisbee
Do you recommend a Lipo Battery Voltage Tester, or a low voltage alarm? My charger has a digital display that I was using to check the charge on my batteries around 8 minutes of flight time, and then stopping before it went below the recommended point. Do you mean something more convenient like an alarm that goes off so I don't have to time my flights to stop and check the voltage?

Oh yeah, I ordered my setup from BangGood, which took about a month to deliver. I'm not sure where I can get faster delivery, and I haven't found any RC shops near where I live. So that's why I was thinking I better make a list and order ahead of time. I think it will be at least a month before I can fly again.

A low voltage alarm is a good idea. Also I would install a buzzer on the FC to help locate after crashes
Some places I order from:

based in China...
Banggood is slow but you can pay for faster shipping when needed. Some USA warehouse stock.
Hobbyking is also cheap, faster in general, has more USA warehouse stock.

based in USA...
getfpv - super fast, great selection.
ready made RC - also good selection
Amazon - very handy in a pinch, has some good stuff (crazepony, readytosky, etc)
lots and lots more out there

Reactions: Frisbee
My buddy bought a Wizard and ran into the same issues you are. His solution was to order a second Wizard to use as a parts drone. He used multiple items off of it. Then he lost his first one in a field. Guess its time for Wizard #3.

My buddy bought a Wizard and ran into the same issues you are. His solution was to order a second Wizard to use as a parts drone. He used multiple items off of it. Then he lost his first one in a field. Guess its time for Wizard #3.
Thanks, Mr J. They didn't have the right ESC's so I ended getting a second Wizard like you said. Do you think the Wizard is priced low enough that it makes sense to buy and fly it, then harvest parts from the previous broken one? Or does it make more sense to buy parts separately?

Also, I got also got a low battery alarm, so hopefully that will help me avoid losing it in a field like your friend. I don't know if it's the same thing, but theGreenOrange mentioned getting a buzzer on the FC to avoid losing the quadcopter after crashes, so maybe you should mention it to your friend and hopefully save his Wizard #3.

Yeah, I think the Wizard is cheap enough to justify ordering multiples. It is geared for beginners and crashes are expected so things breaking is also expected. I bought a Vifly R220 for my first drone and didn't have problems with the motors or ESC's but I have still broken plenty of things from crashing. It is going to happen when you start out. I am also a big advocate of the buzzer. I am in WI and it is easy to lose a quad in a corn field or tall grass. Once you learn to fly better then only put in as little money as possible to keep the Wizard in the air and start saving for a higher end quad. The Wizard is great, but it is still a beginner quad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eleveniseven