Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI FPV Impressions

whats the thoughts on hand-catching the FPV?
(Ive seen one video with someone catching it, so it can be done)

I regularly hand-catch my Mavic Air (1) , by basically just landing it on my hand.
(mainly because often terrain might be a bit rough, or dusty)

the FPV is a bit bigger so in some ways looks like it might be easier?
on the flip side, those propellers are not going to allow for any mistakes!

The battery time is close to advertised?
It probably is in N mode, but I didn't get this to fly in N mode, I fly pretty much exclusively M and there it's more like 8 mins for me. I need to try a quiet flight once just out of curiosity but I'll likely get bored quick, 8 mins of fun very much trumps 15 boring ones...

whats the thoughts on hand-catching the FPV?
Did hand-catch on maybe half my flights, no issue. Battery sticks out at the bottom and that makes a good handle. The height sensor is also at the front and doesn't see you catching the battery so no problem with the autolanding kicking in like on the others.

Last edited:
So did you buy one yet?
Yes will have it tomorrow , The Drone footage is not the exciting as its low light is not good, its terrible. So for those of us who like to fly in the Shadows and thru Storms or through the woods this is not going to be the best option . However it is bar none the best option to get into the Googles and FPV flying and that is the Lure for me. What would be awesome is to have those googles work with the Air 2 or Mavic 2 .

Were designing a 3.5 to 5mm Wet Suit that will offer some well needed Bumper Protection as that metal cracks at specific points like a 25 year old miss handled duck egg.
For what ever reason there are a lot of hard landing which puts a lot of stress on the battery... Will try to reason with that also.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your FPV coming soon.

Reactions: A.O.
Check Ken Heron’s Youtube vid
Yes and some of the Pro FPV flyers that for some reason have been bouncing the Drone on take offs , and bouncing when they land.
I imagine this is happening in Manual mode where the drone is dropping quicker than expected, either way the battery takes the entire impact on hard landings.

So I think this a great video as its shows me what FPV flyers are use to yet there all crashing on these landing and bouncing somehow , and destroying the drone in the process.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to Bullet Proof your FPV coming soon.

Last edited:
It's really fun watching the firat reaction when someone flies FPV. It's what got all of us hooked i the first place. It's just sad to see so many people have this amazing reaction to how cool flying FPV is, jut to then have it all come crashing down in a pit of despair. DJI did a good thing to keep angle limits on by default in manual mode and requireing an extra step to unlock it. I think the lack of an "instant kill switch" is a big shortcoming though.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
It's really fun watching the firat reaction when someone flies FPV. It's what got all of us hooked i the first place. It's just sad to see so many people have this amazing reaction to how cool flying FPV is, jut to then have it all come crashing down in a pit of despair. DJI did a good thing to keep angle limits on by default in manual mode and requireing an extra step to unlock it. I think the lack of an "instant kill switch" is a big shortcoming though.
Did you by chance watch that video , why are these seasoned pilots crashing the DJI FPV what are they expecting to happen. ?

I am expecting my FPV within a couple hours now as i follow the UPS truck .

Did you by chance watch that video , why are these seasoned pilots crashing the DJI FPV what are they expecting to happen. ?

I am expecting my FPV within a couple hours now as i follow the UPS truck .

I know, it seems kind of ridiculous, but experienced is a variable term in many cases.

I know, it seems kind of ridiculous, but experienced is a variable term in many cases.
At this point i have not seen anyone land there drone In full Manual mode without some kind of mishap.
Are you switching back to Normal mode to land ?

Yes I have been but mostly because I'm flying in snow right now. The drone because of it's shape and higher CG is like a tripod and not super stable. you need to be precise.

AO your going to like this: My plan is to fly from inside my House down the River , out to the lake , remote land and start back up and fly back thru the window <
Am I asking to much ?

Phantomrain.org

• Love
AO your going to like this: My plan is to fly from inside my House down the River , out to the lake , remote land and start back up and fly back thru the window <
Am I asking to much ?

Phantomrain.org
WOOT WOOT... Sounds like a great plan!! And you are NOT asking too much!! Absolutely cant wait for the video!
And you are going to go 89 mph the whole way to make it interesting right? ????

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I would have called it the Mini FPV its so much smaller than I thought it would be, everything is charging now.
Screenshot 03-06-2021 14.46.50.jpgScreenshot 03-06-2021 14.33.09.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod and A.O.
WHOOHOO!!
I got stuck , i have no idea how to update the firmware on the controller, so far nothing has worked,
FYI the Firmware update on the Drone had 12 Restarts and a long pause at 96% that took me thru dinner.

Im stuck for now.

• Sad
Notes: Display is super bright , you can see all the Telemetry , sats , batteries , sd card and you can turn the brightness down to just shawdow if needed.. I
The Googles need to be tight on your head or the bridge of your nose is going to be soar.
The Firmware and updates are going to take all your batteries to 25 % so thats a do over on the charging again.

Recommend you skip the connect to the Fly App on the phone and just use the Assistant 2 on the computer.
There is no Verbal command that your home point has been updated, just a single beep.
I was able to get 16 Sats thru the window at the dinning table. Thats good.

Battery is easy to work with, Latency is really quick so much better than the Smart Controller.
Recommend you turn off the Auto Updates as that can mess you up.

In both Sport mode and Normal you have no access to other setting but the Safety until you Wrench it .

If you watch the drone through the Entire Firmware Update you will see quite the Light Show if you turn the lights down, and there pretty fancy Leds they can do a lot.
considering its going to start and restart about 12 times. Thats 12 jet Sounds you get to hear. I did everything with the Props off.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and land on water.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylst18