Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Failsafe trigger on liftoff?

Winks

Reaction score
I've done my best to go through and see if there's a similar post to this, to avoid flooding the forum with unnecessary posts, but I haven't found anything yet. This is my first build and I'll do my best to provide as much information as I can. I'm using the dragon X5 frame and have my drone setup as an LoS (line of sight) as of right now as I've never flown a quad, let alone an RC plane before. I'm using the Mamba f405 mk2 stack with 4x Racestar BR2205 2300KV. I accidentally bought 4 CCW but recently learned that switching two of the leads can reverse the motor direction. I just uploaded a video showing exactly whats going on, that can be found here: Drone Liftoff Video
I'm using the FS-i6 and FS-iA6B rx/tx combo and have it in i-BUS as of right now. It's also running on a brand new, and fully charged, 4s battery. If you need any more information on it, just ask.

Thanks,
Winks.

Usually it’s one of three things that cause that to happen (in my limited experience anyway).
Motor(s) spinning in the wrong direction.
Props on the wrong way.
Orientation of the flight controller (arrow should be visible and facing towards the front of the quad).
You can quickly check in Betaflight for your orientation or take the top cover off your quad for a visual check.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Usually it’s one of three things that cause that to happen (in my limited experience anyway).
Motor(s) spinning in the wrong direction.
Props on the wrong way.
Orientation of the flight controller (arrow should be visible and facing towards the front of the quad).
You can quickly check in Betaflight for your orientation or take the top cover off your quad for a visual check.
Okay, I've got the FC pointing in the right direction, and just to make sure the CCW props go on the CCW motors and vice versa right?
my motor orientation is
4 CW 2 CCW
3 CCW 1 CW
So I had to rewire motor 4 and 1 to be CW. I'll put the props back on and bring an update.

Okay, I've got the FC pointing in the right direction, and just to make sure the CCW props go on the CCW motors and vice versa right?
my motor orientation is
4 CW 2 CCW
3 CCW 1 CW
So I had to rewire motor 4 and 1 to be CW. I'll put the props back on and bring an update.
Ok, you can reverse motor direction in BLhelli if you have it downloaded or do as you’ve done with the physical changeout. You need to absolutely confirm motor direction and whether you are running ‘props in’ or ‘props out’ ( spinning towards the centre of the quad or out) and if running props out, change that setting in Betaflight.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Ok, you can reverse motor direction in BLhelli if you have it downloaded or do as you’ve done with the physical changeout. You need to absolutely confirm motor direction and whether you are running ‘props in’ or ‘props out’ ( spinning towards the centre of the quad or out) and if running props out, change that setting in Betaflight.
UPDATE:
Something appears to be SUPER wrong with this. I have absolutely confirmed the flight controller is facing the correction direction, it is facing toward the camera housing, and in betaflight when i tilt it backward it responds by tilting backward in the 3d image. When i tried to fly it though, I noticed it had no lift whatsoever, I pinned the throttle for just a brief second and it did nothing. I set it up on my stand and placed my hand under and above the spinning motors, all four motors were shooting air up, but the weird thing is I had the propellers setup as the QUAD X image shows front left CW front right CCW back left CCW back right CW, so I switched their locations and boom, I had lift. I noticed something when in betaflight however, at some point, "runaway takeoff prevention" got disabled for a second. I was thinking this may be what's causing it to die immediately so I went into the console and turned it off. After all this I tried again and it took off, but immediately after lift off started spinning out of control and crashed. I tried a few more times before ultimately coming back here. What could be causing this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onvlad85