Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Hi I’m looking to get into this hobby and have a few questions....

kangusmangus

Reaction score
Hey I’m new and have been researching but have a few questions... The simulator seems the way to start but with the huge amount of brands and different things involved I don’t even know where to start... I thought about buying the tiny hawk kit on Amazon but feel like I should just buy a controller headset and the nazgul drone.... but I don’t know if they’d all be compatible with each other or even how to set it up or anything... very daunting. If anyone can help I’d be truly great full 😀

That’s the problem I’m scared they won’t be compatible... I was thinking of doing the rx16 no idea on goggles. Couldn’t decide on what prebuilt drone to start with either I was thinking the nazgul but the different models on Amazon have me confused a little. Do you have a recommendation that for sure will be a somewhat easy set up?

I suggest that you figure out the transmitter and goggles and then decide on the quad. Quads will come and go but the transmitter and goggles will be with you for years and, probably, multiple quads.

I think you are alluding the the tx16s transmitter above. That's a great radio. It will serve you well. It works with a variety of receivers. Odds are you are going to get a BNF (bind and fly) quad which is an already built quad complete with a receiver that you just need to bind to your transmitter and go fly. No assembly or soldering required. The multimodule in the tx16s is just right for this as it will bind with a huge variety of receivers.

Lots of choices in goggles - and alot of variety of dollars to go with. I wouldn't recommend cheap "toy" ones. Least expensive "good" goggles will be box style. Like the EV800D. Personally I like the Cobra X, but it is considerably more money. Other than box goggles, you can go with low profile or fat shark style goggles. Least expensive decent choice here is probably the EV200d. From there you're probably looking at one of the FatSharks. Goggles are a mater of taste and some just fit different people better than others. Unless you have friends with goggles or a way to try some on... you are just going to have to make a choice and see how it goes. Any goggle is going to work with "normal" analog vtx on the quad.

You could go with a nagzul... and that is a good choice. I'd suggest you consider something like the Mobula6. Small. Protected props. You can get it with the Frsky receiver pre-installed. You can fly it inside or outside (if no wind) and it is extremely hard to break or damage anything. Decent FPV camera. Brushless motors. Relatively cheap 1s batteries and you can charge them on inexpensive boards 6 at a time.

That's it for "basic" gear. If you want to go with something "fancier" like SharkByte, ELRS Ghost, Crossfire, etc... then there are more choices to make - and more dollars to spend.

Another thing you might won't to think about Kangusmangus is going Digital vs Analog? Digital will give you superb video.....but more expensive and Analog will be the cheapest route with satisfactory video IMHO. Just something to think about before you dive in. Either way you go..... enjoy the world of FPV and you won't look back. ;) Happy and Safe flying.

Thanks so much for the replies guys it’s been overwhelming the last two nights researching this.... I think I’m gonna get the controller first (still torn between tx16 or Tbs tango 2) so I can jump on the sim before I order the quad ... and probably go with a mid grade analog goggles... as far as the quad the more I look into it the harder it is for me to identify what propellers I need for replacements... I assume that the best beginner quads would be ones with easily replaceable parts?? Any tips on buying replacement parts before I get into it or just fly and order what I need from there? Thanks again 😄

Reactions: FPV Flier
You can use different brands and types of propellers. You get clockwise and counter-clockwise propellers and getting that right is a must. A set of props should have equal cw and ccw. If you aren't sure and you are just getting into FPV I recommend making sure you always have a few sets of Gemfan Hurricane 51466.

If a quad is easier to repair it is much more beginner friendly, replacing a motor or broken electronics will require soldering. Some things will have compatible plugs. The first thing you will break/should have spares of,
Screws, prop nuts, Gemfan battery straps, propellers, motors, frame part (arm most likely).

Would the nano nazgul be a bad choice then since I can’t seem to find the propellers for it? I’m thinking tbs controller with cinewhoop and nano nazgul crossfire versions... But yeah I def don’t want to buy it if it’s going to buy hard to fix for a noob...

If you have the cash go straight for the DJI goggles and either nazgul 5 XL or nazgul evoque. TX you can have a cheap alternative or the DJI black controller. All pre tuned ready to fly once you activate the vista unit.
I haven't looked back. (Now I have 2 nazgul5xl and a CineWhoop)
I never used the simulator and went with the DJI FPV drone, simply I got suckered in with DJI marketing.
Now I realise the SIM is a tool not a game really. And I have a £1200 paper weight.

I’ve decided to go with a newbeedrone bee with a jumper t12 and the fat shark attitude goggles... I already bought the tango... but think a $120 investment to fly micros with this remote will be cool. I got batteries and charges for 1s and 6s... also will be getting the iflight green hornet v 3 cinewhoop with crossfire preinstalled to go with the tango... and I feel this should have me set for a while. For accessories what all should I get... I saw the newbeedrone people had a kit for $50 that has a soldering iron and stuff in it is that all I would need? Thanks again. I’d go dji but don’t want to be locked into one thing? Thanks again

Reactions: mrmund
If you do go with the Jumper, I would suggest this version, "Jumper T12 Pro Hall Gimbal Radio Transmitter". The Hall Gimbals are much smoother feeling. I got the regular Taranis QX7, and ended up buying Hall Sensor Gimbals and replacing the stock gimbals. If I was to replace my QX7, I would go with the Radiomaster TX16S. Jumper had problems with some early models and I just think Radiomaster makes a better product.

For the goggles, are you referring to the Fatshark Attitude V6 goggles? Those look pretty descent.

Would the nano nazgul be a bad choice then since I can’t seem to find the propellers for it? I’m thinking tbs controller with cinewhoop and nano nazgul crossfire versions... But yeah I def don’t want to buy it if it’s going to buy hard to fix for a noob...
40mm props come with both 1mm and 1.5mm hole for the motor shaft. The Nano Nazgul has 1mm motor shafts.

Yeah I’m getting jumper t12! And already have tango just waiting for mail. I’d go radiomaster but it seems they jacked up the price/the smaller models aren’t available... thanks for that tip on the props... been flying in velocidrone in the meantime. Thanks again 😀

Reactions: mrmund
Yeah their tool kit if I went with it what else am I missing? I have everything else I need so far except accessories now on the way here! Idk what xt60 means? I ordered a few 6s batteries and 1s for both quads ordered... just picked what was reccomend on website... idk anything about batteries though watched a few videos kind of understand but I’m nervous to say the least... thanks for all the help as always guys 🙏... got the tango today and been racing on FPV velocidrone sim full throttle on the micros and the toothpicks... so much fun wish I’d known about this hobby a while ago it’s pretty niche it seems :/

XT60 is a type of plug. You will want to check if the plug matches on everything. To make sure, you have the 6s version of the Iflight green hornet v3. The 6s battery has an XT60, at least 75c ideally, 800mah - 1400mah is probably best. Possibly the best value batteries are CNHL Black or Ministar. Make sure your charger has an XT60 and can balance charge up to 6s. The most important things to know about the batteries (these are LiPo) is not to discharge below 3v per cell. You should fly the pack down 3.5v, or 3.4v if you want. They can explode if not balance charged. Using the max output of the battery damages it. Nearly anything damages these batteries. Storage at a voltage other than 3.8-3.85v, flying, not flying, charging especially at a higher than 1c rate. Temperatures damage LiPo batteries but I don't know if that is permanent. Impacts damage the battery, not to worry if it crashes a few times. If you really really try LiPo's can explode quite violently. You will most likely want a 450mah for the micro. The higher c rating the better 80c is decent and 100c might be the highest you can get.

Reactions: kangusmangus
I ordered 1300 mah 6s batteries and my charger says it can do 6s... I’m nervous if I break anything about repairs...

YouTube will help a lot. You will get better at repairs quickly and know what parts to have spares of. Soldering becomes easy, unless you do tiny LED racewire, and when starting you could practice on something else. You get practice flight controllers, blank and covered in pads. A smoke-stopper can save you a lot. Mine has saved me at least a Hobbywing 30x30 ESC and FC.
That is Joshua Bardwell and his videos will help a lot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarlysTroe