Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

How Come??

A.O.

Reaction score
So just about every time I'm taking a video at 3 minutes and 16 seconds it stops and restarts recording.. so if I were to take a 4 minute video... I would get a 3 minute and 16 second video and an additional 84 second video. Am I missing a setting somewhere??

Then just place it after the first one and you would never know.
Think Mavics are 5 minutes before they do that.

Reactions: A.O.
So just about every time I'm taking a video at 3 minutes and 16 seconds it stops and restarts recording.. so if I were to take a 4 minute video... I would get a 3 minute and 16 second video and an additional 84 second video. Am I missing a setting somewhere??

Yes most cameras, especially compact ones, have a "storage limit" of a certain number of gigs. In the case of the DJI FPV, it's 3.5 gigs. You must be filming in 4k60. If you film in another, lower res/rate, the clips will be longer but the "bucket" will remain the same. Savvy? Like Dirk said, just bump the clips together in post, there's no loss of footage.

Reactions: dirkclod and A.O.
Yes most cameras, especially compact ones, have a "storage limit" of a certain number of gigs. In the case of the DJI FPV, it's 3.5 gigs. You must be filming in 4k60. If you film in another, lower res/rate, the clips will be longer but the "bucket" will remain the same. Savvy? Like Dirk said, just bump the clips together in post, there's no loss of footage.
I'll go exploring and see if I can change my camera settings, I'm just flying it the way it came...

I'll go exploring and see if I can change my camera settings, I'm just flying it the way it came...
It's your call but I personally prefer filming in the highest res and potentially downgrading in post, if necessary.

Reactions: dirkclod
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Video files split at about 4GB in size. Shooting video at a lower resolution/quality is the only way to prevent video files from splitting -- or at least delay the split as long as possible when shooting longer videos.

Video files split at about 4GB in size. Shooting video at a lower resolution/quality is the only way to prevent video files from splitting -- or at least delay the split as long as possible when shooting longer videos.
Yeah, anything longer than 3-4 minutes seems to get boring anyway, but to cut me off just before I finish is annoying, I'll have to check the camera settings and see whats the next step down. And then view it and see how it looks.

I'll have to check the camera settings and see whats the next step down
Or you could use a video editor to join them as needed after you're done flying.

Reactions: Kilrah
Or you could use a video editor to join them as needed after you're done flying.
Yes, someday I need to learn how to edit and find an editor that's not completely confusing to me. I am NOT very computer savvy!!

This is an archaic file size limitation of the old old old original MSDOS file system format, a.k.a. the FAT file system. FAT has a 4GB file limitation. Back in the 80's, "there'll never be a file THAT big!!!".

FAT is used for drones, cameras, etc. because it is about the most universally interoperable format in use.

Good explanation Here about FAT32 file size limit and why its 4GB. Basically 2^32 can only represent 4GB.

My videos always break at 3:17 which it right about 3.8GB. I assume there is a bit of safety factor built in to break files before getting right to the 4GB limit. Just like jpeg not all videos/images compress the same amount.

Yes, someday I need to learn how to edit and find an editor that's not completely confusing to me. I am NOT very computer savvy!!
FWIW the Fly app includes a decent editor that's very easy to use.

So I wanted to clear my little picture chips off, So I pulled the one from my goggles to do just that but wanted to see what all was on there, and the video I was wanting to see that was split into to sections on the drone chip was in one piece on the goggles chip (I just posted it in the pictures section "more practice around home" ) So the drone splits them up but the goggles doesn't?? How come?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.